How to get rid of pet cat urine smell from your Sofa and Carpet?
The 2014 Pet Population Statistics roughly shows, that about 1 in 2 households own a pet. This makes it about 20million pets in the country, where around 70% of them are cats. This and another statistics represent, that UK is a nation of pet lovers. It is absolutely true we love our animals and their company. Especially cats, they are house attached pets and their instinct, that they own the place is stronger than everything.
Most of kittens are litter box trained since they are very young or they would have direct access to a garden, which they would use for a toilet. In both cases cats need training and easy permanent access to the place. By nature cats are very clean animals and would avoid any dirty and smelly places. That is why it is important to keep your cat’s litter box cleaned all the time. Otherwise you may risk of having pee accident anywhere in your home. Most often they would pee on soft surfaces such as furniture, carpet or bed, which means the liquid will absorb into the fabric. If you have not seen the pet at this moment it make take you very long until you discover the exact location. The cat urine smell may keep you away from your home and the pet especially the male’ urine, which is much stronger than the female. To avoid all bad circumstances take quick actions to eliminate the odour as much as possible.
Here are few tips of what you should do immediately after you noticed urine odour:
- Determined the smell location as soon as possible;
- If you have been at home at this moment try to put cotton cloths and tick kitchen paper over the place to absorb the liquid as much as possible;
- Turn around the urinated item, so you prevent the liquid to absorb deep in the fabric;
- Seek professional carpet or upholstery cleaning, which offers washing and odors removing service. Make sure you do not wait too long before you call for help. As long the urine stays in the fabric untreated as strong it becomes with every other second. Usually the professional cleaners will treat the urinated spot with special odor neutralizer and then will wash the whole surface. The steam cleaning method includes expelling clean water onto carpet of upholstery and then suck dirty water back into the tank. The trained technicians would avoid the use of hot water on the urinated location, as the heat may cause the smell to set more stubbornly. However having washed the entire surface not just the odor spot is important eliminate any other smells.
- If the cat pee accident happened once make sure you lay down disposable and absorbent pads at the same and surrounding location in case he do it again;
- Keep always cleaned the litter box of your cat, as any dirt and smell will block the usage of it;
- Put a bigger and few litter boxes if you have more than one cat;
- Take the pet to the vet just to be sure that there are not any kidney or other healthy problems.